Supplier Industrialization Engineer – Solar, Energy Storage, Glass
Tesla’s Supplier Industrialization group is responsible for critical component development and qualification activities at suppliers. The job involves communicating well with internal and external teams, traveling to suppliers all over the world, and on-the-spot decision making. The goal: on time quantities of high quality component parts into Tesla’s production processes enabling extremely rapid development cycles and product launches.
· Plan, organize, direct and conduct supplier process development for Solar/Energy Storage/Glass, including risk identification, quality control, cost reduction, and capacity improvements.
· Develop, manage , audit, improve and correct supplier planning and execution of Solar/Energy Storage/Glass component manufacturing techniques and quality control processes from the advanced development phase to mass production qualification
· Provide leadership for New Product Introduction at Suppliers
· Lead supplier improvements in scalability, cost, and quality.
· Facilitate communication and clarification of technical requirements between Suppliers and Tesla Purchasing, Quality, and Design teams.
· Accountable for supplier audits to ensure their ability to meet part performance, delivery, and reliability expectations.
· Collaborate with Tesla Design, Quality, and Manufacturing to determine the ideal performance specifications and supplier metrics.
· Leading, tracking and improving supplier manufacturing process development and launch readiness for new products and design changes.
· Guide suppliers in developing exceptionally robust processes and procedures to promote efficient and seamless production of high quality products.
· Validate supplier corrective actions involving design and/or process changes to ensure they are robust, sustainable, and implemented for similar potential concerns across manufacturing lines and/or suppliers.
· Provide input on new or alternative materials for improved design, manufacturability, or cost reduction.
· At least 5-8 Years of component or assembly plant experience supporting Engineering or Manufacturing.
· Experience in Quality Systems a plus: PPAP/APQP processes
· Knowledge of tooling, processing, and inspection of glass, sheet metal assemblies, top level electronics assemblies (TLA), electro-mechanical assemblies, inverters, and/or photo voltaics.
· Ability to communicate and direct supplier activities up to the executive level.
· Proven results in meeting customer requirements and expectations.
· In-depth knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and inspection.
· Ability to define and execute a project using project management techniques.
· Ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
· Excellent team building skills in dealing with suppliers, peers and other functional areas.
· Strong technical writing ability and an ability to explain complex issues in a concise and plain manner.
· Must be familiar with Statistical Process Control (SPC) and data analysis.
· An average of 30-40% travel, possibly on short notice.