The Equipment Engineer for the Remanufacturing (Reman) group is responsible for designing and/or sourcing new pieces of tooling and equipment, developing improvements to existing tools and equipment, collaborating with test engineering & controls engineers to build in-house equipment and testers, and working with process engineers and operators to define requirements. The equipment engineer will also lead the development and improvement equipment documentation and define new documentation standards in Reman. The equipment engineer will be expected to have sound mechanical engineering fundamentals and also be comfortable contacting and project managing a supplier or suppliers. The candidate must be independent, proactive, and very hands-on, spending significant time on the manufacturing line where the tooling or equipment will be used. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on and analytical abilities, organization skills, and attention to detail. He/She is self-motivated, receptive to feedback, and appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded.
· Design new tooling, fixtures, assembly aids, and equipment to be used on the Remanufacturing lines
· Document BOMs, schematics, maintenance guides, and operator manuals for remanufacturing equipment, and support maintenance debugging efforts as needed
· Create CAD models and technical 2D drawings for new tooling and equipment, performing FEA structural analyses when applicable
· Work closely with Remanufacturing process engineers to identify opportunities for new tools or equipment to improve our process in productivity, quality, safety, or total cost
· Analyze remanufacturing processes, identify where automation can be most beneficial, and work with automation and controls engineers to design and install automation
· Define specifications and requirements for outsourced tooling and equipment, including standardized RFQ (request for quote) documents to be sent to suppliers
· Conduct risk assessments on equipment under development and lead safety buy-offs for equipment before launch, working closely with Safety Engineers to ensure all equipment is safe before handing over to production
· Create maintenance documentation and act as primary point of contact for maintenance team to ensure tooling and equipment downtime is minimized
· Create business cases analyzing the financial feasibility of new tooling and equipment, calculating ROI and justifying department expenses to upper management
· BS or higher degree in engineering (Preferred Mechanical). Equivalent relevant experience will be considered.
· Experience in a manufacturing environment required, including exposure to safety best-practices
· Experience with 3D CAD design and analysis; Solidworks required, CATIA a plus
· Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including experience with pneumatics, sensors, motors, pumps, and other actuators and related control elements
· Proven success designing tools and equipment for manufacturing or assembly processes
· Experience sourcing large equipment projects, including defining the specifications (RFQ), reviewing quotes, selecting and managing a supplier, supervising installation, and conducting major milestone buy-offs
· Knowledgeable of fabrication methods and limitations of Mill, Lathe, Sheet Metal, and Additive manufacturing (3D Print)
· Previous exposure to electrical connector design, electrical cabinet layout basics, and heat transfer estimations for thermal systems
· Ability to read, interpret, troubleshoot, and create complex mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment and subsystem schematics
· Comfortable with ambiguity, a fast-paced environment, and in a role with broad scope
· Self-starting and proactive, able to work with little to no direction
· Able to communicate clearly using excellent written and verbal skill across cultures and geographic regions.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).