The Role – (Palo Alto, CA)
This position will work as a member of Tesla’s Vehicle Dynamics group to support full vehicle and sub-system tests performed in-house and at external test tracks and proving grounds. This role is responsible for performing and overseeing instrumentation installation and data acquisition. Additionally, this technician will support vehicle preparation, tear-down and test execution, as dictated by test priorities. The successful candidate for this position will have a broad background in automotive testing including experience in CAN bus data and light fabrication experience.
· Identify required data acquisition and sensors for each test
· Maintain sensor library, sensor repair, coordinate calibration activities of all instrumentation
· Perform installation of sensors and data acquisition equipment
· Installation of data acquisition equipment to include sensors (i.e. accelerometers, gyros, thermocouples, strain gauges, load cells, pressure transducers, torque sensors, displacement sensors, CAN bus traffic, GPS, etc.)
· Create daily work plans to achieve test plan goals on schedule
· Design and fabricate custom brackets and fixtures
· Support testing activities and/or vehicle preparation
· Select appropriate sensing devices for use with data collection systems
· Perform onsite support and testing while monitoring and validating data.
· Data analysis and correlation
· Experience with data acquisition systems and instrumenting vehicles with accelerometers, pressure sensors, thermocouples, strain gauges, etc.; experience with MoTeC data acquisition systems and MoTeC i2 preferred
· Formal electronics training (AC/DC circuits, formulas, and components) or equivalent work experience
· Strain gauge selection, installation, and wiring for torque, load, bending, etc.
· Ability to operate and maintain a wide variety of hand and power tools, shop tools, and shop equipment, for the servicing of automobiles
· Ability to operate and use diagnostic scan tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment
· Experience with MS office tools (Outlook/Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Project)
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions
· Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including the public
· Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
· Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
· A minimum of 3 years of instrumentation and data acquisition experience
· Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
· Flexibility to travel domestically and internationally (Up to 30%)
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).