The primary function of a Mechanical Design Engineer at Tesla is to create robust machine design concepts and detailed drawing packages for custom designed machine build projects and support the entire design and build project cycle.
· Use mechanical design software to create complete mechanical design concepts for robust and low-risk machine designs that will complete the project scope within the budget and schedule parameters defined by the project scope documents.
· Identify areas of risk and work quickly to prototype and mitigate risk.
· Know and understand the project scope, specifications, and any regulatory requirements that are applicable to the machine being developed.
· Complete mechanical design analysis as required to ensure the machine design will meet all project requirements.
· Attend meetings, including project status and review meetings, checkout meetings, and acceptance meetings. This includes leading all internal and design review meetings for the project.
· Create complete, organized, detailed print packages and coordinate and conduct release to fabrication meetings.
· Work with component suppliers to specify and acquire quotes for machine commercial components that are needed for the machine design.
· Keep the project manager abreast of all out-of-scope work through thorough execution of Engineering Change Orders (ECO).
· Support the fabrication, assembly and debug processes for the project as required. Lead the mechanical debug activities to ensure the machine assembly and debug phases of the project are completed on schedule.
· Know, understand and execute all company standard operating procedures related to the machine design and build process.
This job operates in a professional office and assembly shop floor environment. Employees may also work at other Tesla manufacturing sites. While performing the duties of this job, employees may be exposed to moving mechanical parts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
· The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers, and co-workers.
· This position requires the occasional use of basic hand tools
· This position requires standing, sitting, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping for long lengths of time.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Up to 20% travel is expected for this position.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field from an accredited institution
· Strong mechanical aptitude and ability to conceptualize and create mechanical designs
· Proficiency in using Solidworks modeling 3D CAD design software. PDM experience is a plus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with specific ability to write at a professional and technical level
· Organized and detail-oriented
· Desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Strong communication skills
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).