Tesla has an outstanding opportunity to join our dynamic legal team as Corporate Counsel. In this role, you will draft and negotiate commercial real estate leases and other agreements to support our Supercharger program, as we continue expanding our vehicle charging network in North America. You will also provide legal support on diverse issues related to electric vehicle charging and charging products. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience negotiating leases, preferably for commercial retail and industrial properties, as well as other commercial agreements such as master services agreements and equipment leases, and will also have experience as product counsel. You will need to handle day-to-day real estate matters, while being capable of learning on your feet and thriving in a fast-paced environment. This position can be based in either Fremont, CA or Austin, TX.
· Draft, revise and negotiate real estate leases for Supercharger stations as well as other commercial agreements to support our Supercharger program, including license agreements and construction contracts
· Manage, review and prepare ancillary real estate documents (amendments, SNDAs, estoppels, etc.)
· Manage legal and contractual compliance for Supercharger locations, including permits, licenses, approvals, insurance, inspection and other legal requirements (e.g., zoning variances, building codes, ADA)
· Manage and review reports and other due diligence materials related to potential title and environmental liabilities
· Draft and update customer-facing terms and policies
· Review regulatory developments and provide legal advice on the evolving landscape related to electric vehicle charging and electricity supply
· Provide legal support as needed during planning review and project approval processes
· Resolve disputes with landlords, contractors, tenants and/or subtenants
· Negotiate other equipment related contracts as needed, such as equipment leases and product sales agreements
· Work closely with business team to assess and advise on legal and business risks and risk mitigation strategies
· J.D. with excellent academic credentials and top tier law firm experience
· Bar admission in the jurisdiction where you will be based, or ability to register as in-house counsel
· At least five to eight years of legal experience, including substantial experience in commercial real estate handling commercial leasing and related matters
· Experience as product counsel is preferred, including experience drafting customer facing terms, policies and content
· Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and advise competently on issues that are new to you, such as interpreting and advising on statutory and regulatory developments
· Strong drafting and analytical skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
· Experience negotiating directly with opposing counsel
· Ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to work independently as well as on teams with diverse personalities and skill levels
· Flexibility and eagerness to take on new responsibilities
· A creative problem solver who is open to new ideas and new approaches
· Willingness to work in a truly scrappy environment
· Sound and practical business judgment
· Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively and being resourceful
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).