CAE/CFD Engineers on the Battery Module Team are at the leading edge of next generation Tesla products. In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing and optimizing the performance of revolutionary vehicle and energy storage battery designs. The Battery Module team lies in the confluence between cell engineering and battery pack engineering, helping to push cell performance limits to make incredible products. You will be an innovative and skilled problem solver – using all analytical tools available to you. Where these tools are insufficient or do not exist, you will develop novel methodologies to enable fast and accurate solutions. You will be brilliant both technically as an individual, and as an active member in a diverse and challenging cross-functional team environment. The role requires strong fundamentals, a passion to push the boundaries of technology and the tenacity to make designs successful. Our design requirements push the limits of physical possibility, which requires you to be extremely detail oriented in supporting the design engineers making tradeoffs. Tesla moves quickly, so being self-motivated and disciplined is critical. You must be passionate, but direction changes quickly, so you must also be resilient.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Providing CAE and CFD support through build of state of art FE and CFD models to the finest details.
· Supporting design progression and evolution with multi-disciplinary engineering teams based on your analyses.
· Drive manufacturing centric battery module designs with CAE and CFD, while balancing all applicable requirements with state of the art design and innovative manufacturing methodologies.
· Perform advanced CAE and CFD simulations to evaluate and enhance sub-systems and full product simulations of specific design attributes and manufacturing processes.
· Develop and apply advanced methodologies with smart analysis techniques to drive innovation into Tesla products.
· High skills level in multidisciplinary domains of single and multi-phase CFD, Thermal, Coupled electrical and Thermal CAE.
· Develop and support subsystem level & full vehicle correlations in line with standard protocols and best practices.
· Perform post-test reviews and corroborate the CAE and CFD predictions to test results.
· Develop highly predictive models of materials and processes to enable good correlations with physical tests.
· Conduct optimization studies by utilizing optimization tools, including DOE/ DFSS techniques on components, assemblies, or vehicle designs to meet performance requirements with the constraints of mass and cost.
· Perform analyses for feasibility of manufacturing, assembly and service processes.
· Provide input in the creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where analysis plays a pivotal role.
· Produce concise management summaries and report-outs that meet the needs of management system functions. · Collaboration with other modeling and design teams.
· Deep knowledge of Finite Element Analysis, Finite Volume Method, Smooth Particles
· Hydrodynamics, CFD, Applied Solid Mechanics, Material science and Computational
· Numerical Methods within a product development environment in a transportation
· Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated successful experience with at least two relevant
· product lines.
· Excellent applied experience in ANSYS-FLUENT, STAR CCM+, required.
· Applied experience in ANSA or HYPERWORKS, preferred.
· Additional experience in LS-DYNA, NASTRAN, TOSCA, MODEFRONTIER and
· ABAQUS beneficial.
· Demonstrated experience in simulating steady state and transient single and multi-
· phase fluid flows on sub-systems and full vehicle models.
· Preferred experience in stand-alone or coupled analysis of electronic components for
· thermal, fluid mechanics, electro-magnetism, and structural.
· Preferred experience in the analysis of coupled thermal-electrical problems, fluid flow
· through vehicle bodies, and electronics cooling.
· Preferred experience in HV battery design and optimization
· Preferred knowledge of optimization tools and techniques.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently on pioneering and challenging problems.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver analysis on difficult projects with tight timing constraints.
· Demonstrated ability to deconstruct complex test scenarios with good logic and
· analytics and root-causing correlation problems.
· Demonstrated ability in iterative and collaborative automotive-similar engineering environments.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).